Effective Date: November 1, 2019
PERSONAL INFORMATION AND OTHER INFORMATION PROCESSED BY PILLAR
We may use your contact information to send you information about the Services. You may unsubscribe from some of these messages by using the unsubscribe link provided in each email, although, we reserve the right to contact you when we believe it is necessary, such as for account recovery purposes.
Personal Information we collect: we may combine Personal Information collected through the Services with Other Information that we or third parties collect about you in other contexts—such as our communications with you via email, phone or otherwise or your customer service records. Additionally, if you register for or access the Services using a third party service, we may receive Personal Information that you allow such third party service to share with us. You acknowledge that this information may be personal to you, and by creating an account and providing Personal Information to us, you allow others, including us, to identify you and therefore may not be anonymous.
Other Information we collect: each time you log use the Services, we may, in some cases automatically, collect the following information:
- through your device: we may collect information from or through the device you use to connect to the Services, including, for example, the type of device, the IP address, the approximate location derived from an IP address, the mobile network, the operating system and version, the browser and version or the timezone setting or unique device identifiers.
- log information: we automatically receive and record certain details about your use of the Services, including but not limited to, web traffic data, web logs and communication data, information about your activity on the Pillar website.
- other information from other sources: we work with third parties (including, for example, providers in technical, payment services, advertising networks, analytics providers and search information providers), and we may receive, collect, store, and use information about you from them. We may partner with certain third parties to collect the Other Information and to engage in analysis, auditing, research and reporting or for use in providing online interest-based advertising on our behalf. These third parties may use web logs or web beacons, and they may set and access cookies or similar technologies on your device. They may also use information about your use of the Services to help target non-Pillar advertisements based on your online activity in general.
- information from email communications: we may communicate with you via email, SMS, MMS or other text message (collectively, “Text Message”) or push notifications (to the extent you permit us to do so), and we may collect information regarding such communications, such as confirmation when you open an email. We use this information to improve the Services, including without limitation our customer service.
- aggregate information: we collect statistical information about how both unregistered and registered users, collectively, use the Services (“Aggregate Information”). Some of this information is derived from Personal Information. This statistical information is not Personal Information and cannot be tied back to you, your account or your web browser.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Pillar may use the information that we collect from you:
- to provide services to you: we use Personal Information to ship products to you, to process and complete payments or transactions, and to provide customer support. We may use the information we collect from you in the following ways: to personalize user's experience and to allow us to deliver the type of content and product offerings in which you are most interested; to improve our website in order to better serve you; to allow us to better service you in responding to your customer service requests; to administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature; to quickly process your transactions; to send periodic emails regarding your order or other products and services; to follow up with them after correspondence (live chat, email or phone inquiries). We also may use Personal Information to improve the Services.
- to contact you: subject to applicable law, we or our third-party service and business providers may send you communications. Such communications may include, but are not limited to: notifications about the Services (including important news that could affect your relationship with us), communications about our services or promotions. These types of communications may also contain commercial messages, such as banner ads and special offers. By using the Services, you consent to the receipt of such communications and marketing information.
- for legal purposes: we may use and share Personal Information for legal purposes, including as described below in the section titled ‘How We Share Information with Third Parties’ (including the transfer of such Personal Information to third parties in countries outside your country of residence where data protection laws may be less adequate compared to your own country’s data protection laws).
- for our business purposes: we may use Other Information to help us efficiently operate Pillar, to count and recognize visitors to our website, to enable certain features on the our website and for other purposes related to managing our business.
- for other purposes: subject to applicable law, we may use Other Information for additional purposes in connection with the Services, including any purpose for which we may use Personal Information, as described above.
Pillar may link Other Information with Personal Information. In those circumstances, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information.
HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES
- with partners and other third-party service providers: to deliver the Services, including processing your transactions and shipping your orders, we may share your Personal Information with our partners and other service providers. These service providers may provide us with support services such as logistics and order fulfillment.
- with third-parties through their websites: the Services may enable you to share information directly on or through websites or online services operated by third parties. For example, our website may contain links to third-party websites. If you choose to browse such websites, you may disclose your Personal Information to those third-party websites. Pillar is not liable for the content or action of such third-party websites.
- user information: some of your activity and information provided on and through the Services may be public (such as your product review, should you submit one). Please remember that if you choose to provide Personal Information using certain public features of the Services, then that information is governed by the privacy settings of those particular features and may be publicly available. Individuals reading such information may use or disclose it to other individuals or entities without our control and without your knowledge, and search engines may index that information. We therefore urge you to think carefully about including any specific information you may deem private in content that you create or information that you submit through the Services.
- with our agents: we also employ and contract with people and other entities that perform certain tasks on our behalf and who are under our control (our “Agents”). We may need to share Personal Information with our Agents in order to provide products or services to you. Unless we tell you differently, our Agents do not have any right to use Personal Information or other information we share with them beyond what is necessary to assist us. You hereby consent to our sharing of Personal Information with our Agents.
- pursuant to business transfers: in some cases, we may choose to buy or sell assets. In these types of transactions, user information is typically one of the transferred business assets. Moreover, if we, or substantially all of our assets, were acquired, or if we go out of business or enter bankruptcy, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of us or our assets may continue to use your Personal Information as set forth in this policy.
- aggregated information: from time to time, Pillar may also share anonymized and aggregated information about users of the Services such as by publishing a report or providing information to our business partners on trends in the usage of the Services and demographic of users. We use and share this type of data so that we and our business partners can understand how and how often people use our and their services or websites, which facilitates improving our Services, their services and how our Services interface with their services. In addition, these business partners may share with us non-private, aggregated or otherwise non Personal Information about you that they have independently developed or acquired.
- financial information: as stated above, we do not currently collect financial information, as that information is collected and stored by our Payment Processor. However, we may from time to time request and receive some of your financial information from our Payment Processor for the purposes of completing transactions you have initiated through the our website, enrolling you in discount, rebate, and other programs in which you elect to participate, protecting against or identifying possible fraudulent transactions, and otherwise as needed to manage our business.
- information we share with your consent: except as set forth above, you will be notified when your Personal Information may be shared with third parties, and will be able to prevent the sharing of this information.
We may combine non-personally identifiable information collected through cookies with other Personal Information that we have about you, for example, to tell us who you are or whether you have an account. We may also supplement the information we collect from you with information received from third parties in order to enhance our services, or to offer you information that may be of interest to you.
Most browsers automatically accept cookies, and have an option for turning off the cookie feature, which will prevent the browser from accepting new cookies, as well as (depending on the sophistication of the browser software) allowing the user to decide on the acceptance of each new cookie in a variety of ways. If you choose to decline cookies, some parts of the Services may not work as intended or may not work at all. For more details, see aboutcookies.org.
Please reference the chart below to learn more about the kinds of cookies we use and for what purpose.
Type of Cookie
Description and Further Information
Essential cookies are cookies that enable you to navigate and use all the features provided through our Services. Without these, you would not be able to navigate between pages and be served various pages.
Examples: encrypted and cryptographically signed session cookie, used to identify you to our servers after you log in; flash: temporarily stores messages and alerts that we display on-screen to you.
These cookies enable us to remember you have visited us before, including any preferences you have provided and/or selected to give you a tailored experience.
Hotjar (website interaction)
Performance and Analytical Cookies
This information is used to help us understand your interactions with the Services. We use this information with various analytics applications to improve the Services and better target various offerings to users. Examples: ga : Google Analytics identifier.
We use third parties, for example, Google Analytics, to analyze statistical information from users of our Services.
Google Analytics (Analytics)
Facebook Pixel (Conversions)
Bing UET Conversion Pixel
Klaviyo (marketing automation)
Retargeting or Advertising Cookies
Third parties may also use such tracking technologies to serve ads that they believe are most likely to be of interest to you and measure the effectiveness of their ads both on our website and on other websites and online services. Targeting and advertising cookies we use may include Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel, LinkedIn Insights tag and others.
Google Analytics (Audiences)
Facebook Pixel (Custom Audiences)
Bing UET Retargeting Pixel
LinkedIn Insights tag - If you are not a LinkedIn member, learn more about cookies and how to opt out.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR INFORMATION
The information that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination (a “third country”) outside the country or region in which you are resident or use the Services, including in the United States of America where data protection laws are not deemed to be as adequate as other regions (e.g. Europe). The data protection laws in these third country countries may be less adequate compared to your country of residence. By using the Services, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing of your laws in such third countries.
OUR SECURITY PRECAUTIONS
Pillar uses commercially reasonable physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your Personal Information against loss or unauthorized access, use, modification or deletion but no security program can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, Pillar cannot guarantee the security of any information obtained or processed by Pillar or its service providers, and you use the Services at your own risk. Your Personal Information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. In addition, all sensitive/credit information you supply is encrypted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology. We implement a variety of security measures when a user places an order to maintain the safety of your Personal Information. All transactions are processed through a gateway provider and are not stored or processed on our servers.
Additionally, you are responsible for preventing unauthorized access to your account and Personal Information by protecting your account credentials and limiting access to your devices.
You may, under applicable law, have the right to ask us not to process your Personal Information for marketing purposes. If you do not wish to receive marketing communications from Pillar, please follow the opt-out instructions contained in each such communication or any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that you may not be able to opt-out of certain non-marketing communications about your account or communications that are reasonably necessary to provide services to you, and that opting-out of receiving text messages or other communications, as applicable, may impact your use of the Services or may limit Pillar’s ability to provide services to you.
Please note that it may take up to 30 days for your withdrawal to be reflected in our systems following confirmation of your request to opt-out. Therefore, you may still receive certain communications during this period.
OPTING OUT OF INTEREST BASED ADVERTISING
Users can set preferences for how Google advertises to you using the Google Ad Settings page. Alternatively, you can opt out by visiting the Network Advertising initiative opt out page or permanently using the Google Analytics Opt Out Browser add on.
Through the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) and Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”), several media and marketing associations have developed an industry self-regulatory program to give consumers a better understanding of and greater control over ads that are customized based on their online behavior across different websites. To make choices about interest-based ads from participating third parties and to opt out of receiving certain cookies and certain trackers, please visit the DAA’s or NAI’s consumer opt out pages, which are located at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ or www.aboutads.info/choices or http://youronlinechoices.eu.
DO NOT TRACK
Your browser may offer you a “Do Not Track” or “DNT” option, which allows you to signal to operators of websites, and web applications, and services that you do not wish such operators to track certain of your online activities over time and across different websites. The Services do not currently support the Do Not Track options offered by most major browsers. For more information about DNT signals, visit http://allaboutdnt.com.
ACCESSING AND EDITING YOUR INFORMATION
Pillar provides you with the ability to view, update, access, edit and correct your Personal Information by contacting us at email@example.com.
You may have additional rights under applicable law to access information we hold or share about you but any access request may be subject to a reasonable fee, to the extent permissible under applicable law, to meet our costs in providing you with details of such information.
NOTICE FOR RESIDENTS OF THE EU, UK, LICHTENSTEIN, NORWAY, OR ICELAND
If you are a resident of the European Union (“EU”), United Kingdom, Lichtenstein, Norway, or Iceland, you may have additional rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”) with respect to your Personal Data, as outlined below.
For this section, we use the terms “Personal Data” and “processing” as they are defined in the GDPR, but “Personal Data” generally means information that can be used to individually identify a person, and “processing” generally covers actions that can be performed in connection with data such as collection, use, storage and disclosure. Pillar will be the controller of your Personal Data processed in connection with the Services.
1. What Personal Data Do We Collect From You And How Do We Use It? We collect Personal Data about you when you provide such information directly to us, when third parties such as our business partners or service providers provide us with Personal Data about you, or when Personal Data about you is automatically collected in connection with your use of our Services.
1.A. Information we receive from you: We receive Personal Data directly from you when you provide us with such Personal Data through making an order, or otherwise in connection with your use of the Services, including without limitation contact, identification, and shipping information such as name, email address, phone number, and shipping address.
1.B. Information we receive from third party sources: Some third parties such as our Payment Processors, or our advertising partners provide us with Personal Data about you, such as the following:
1.B.i. Information from our advertising partners: We receive information about you from some of our service providers who assist us with marketing or promotional services related to how you interact with our websites, applications, products, services, advertisements or communications.
1.D. We process Personal Data to operate, improve, understand and personalize our Services. For example, we use Personal Data to: (a) provide the Services and meet our contractual obligations with you; (b) create and manage user profiles; (c) communicate with you about the Services; (d) contact you about Service announcements, updates or offers; (e) provide support and assistance for the Services; (f) personalize website content and communications based on your preferences; (g) respond to user inquiries; (h) fulfill user requests; (i) analyze demographics for business insights; (j) comply with our legal or contractual obligations; and, (k) protect against or deter fraudulent, illegal or harmful actions.
1.E. We will only process your Personal Data if we have a lawful basis for doing so. Lawful bases for processing include consent, contractual necessity and our “legitimate interests” or the legitimate interest of others, as further described below.
1.E.ii. We process the following categories of Personal Data when we believe it furthers the legitimate interest of us or third parties: (a) contact and identification information; and (b) shipping and billling information. Examples of these legitimate interests include: (a) operation and improvement of our business, products and services; (b) marketing of our products and services; (c) provision of customer support; (d) protection from fraud or security threat; (e) compliance with legal obligations; (f) completion of corporate transactions; and, (g) improvement of customer experience.
1.E.iii. Consent: In some cases, we process Personal Data based on the consent you expressly grant to us at the time we collect such data. When we process Personal Data based on your consent, it will be expressly indicated to you at the point and time of collection.
1.E.iv. Other Processing Grounds: From time to time we may also need to process Personal Data to comply with a legal obligation, if it is necessary to protect the vital interests of you or other data subjects, or if it is necessary for a task carried out in the public interest.
2. How and With Whom Do We Share Your Data?
2.B. We also share Personal Data when necessary to complete a transaction initiated or authorized by you or provide you with a product or service you have requested. In addition to those set forth above, these parties also include: (a) other users (where you post information publicly or as otherwise necessary to effect a transaction initiated or authorized by you through the Services); (b) social media services (if you interact with them through your use of the Services); (c) third party business partners who you access through the Services; (d) partners that provide services in connection with our Services (e.g. logistics and shipping partners); and, (e) other parties authorized by you.
2.C. We also share information with third parties when you have given us consent to do so (as indicated at the point such information is collected).
2.D. We also share Personal Data when we believe it is necessary to: (a) comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; (b) protect us, our business or our users, for example to enforce our terms of service, prevent spam or other unwanted communications and investigate or protect against fraud; and/or, (c) maintain the security of our products and services.
2.E. Furthermore, if we choose to buy or sell assets, user information is typically one of the transferred business assets. Moreover, if we, or substantially all of our assets, were acquired, or if we go out of business or enter bankruptcy, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party, and we would share Personal Data with the party that is acquiring our assets. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of us or our assets may continue to use your Personal Data as set forth in this policy.
3. How Long Do We Retain Your Personal Data? We retain Personal Data about you for as long as you have an open account with us or as otherwise necessary to provide you Services. In some cases we retain Personal Data for longer, if doing so is necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes or collect fees owed, or is otherwise permitted or required by applicable law, rule or regulation. Afterwards, we retain some information in a depersonalized or aggregated form but not in a way that would identify you personally.
4. What Security Measures Do We Use? We seek to protect Personal Data using appropriate technical and organizational measures based on the type of Personal Data and applicable processing activity.
6. What Rights Do You Have Regarding Your Personal Data? You have certain rights with respect to your Personal Data, including those set forth below. For more information about these rights, or to submit a request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that in some circumstances, we may not be able to fully comply with your request, such as if it is frivolous or extremely impractical, if it jeopardizes the rights of others, or if it is not required by law, but in those circumstances, we will still respond to notify you of such a decision. In some cases, we may also need you to provide us with additional information, which may include Personal Data, if necessary to verify your identity and the nature of your request.
6.A. Access: You can request more information about the Personal Data we hold about you and request a copy of such Personal Data.
6.B. Rectification: If you believe that any Personal Data we are holding about you is incorrect or incomplete, you can request that we correct or supplement such data. If you would like to request that we correct or supplement such data please contact us at email@example.com.
6.C. Erasure: You can request that we erase some or all of your Personal Data from our systems.
6.D. Withdrawal of Consent: If we are processing your Personal Data based on your consent (as indicated at the time of collection of such data), you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note, however, that if you exercise this right, you may have to then provide express consent on a case-by-case basis for the use or disclosure of certain of your Personal Data, if such use or disclosure is necessary to enable you to utilize some or all of our Services.
6.E. Portability: You can ask for a copy of your Personal Data in a machine-readable format. You can also request that we transmit the data to another controller where technically feasible.
6.F. Objection: You can contact us to let us know that you object to the further use or disclosure of your Personal Data for certain purposes.
6.G. Restriction of Processing: You can ask us to restrict further processing of your Personal Data.
6.H. Right to File Complaint: You have the right to lodge a complaint about Company’s practices with respect to your Personal Data with the supervisory authority of your country or EU Member State.
7. Transfers of Personal Data: The Services are hosted and operated in the United States (“U.S.”) through Company and its service providers, and if you do not reside in the U.S., laws in the U.S. may differ from the laws where you reside. By using the Services, you acknowledge that any Personal Data about you, regardless of whether provided by you or obtained from a third party, is being provided to Company in the U.S. and will be hosted on U.S. servers, and you authorize Company to transfer, store and process your information to and in the U.S., and possibly other countries. We transfer Personal Data for the performance of a contract between you and us.
8. What If You Have Questions Regarding Your Personal Data? If you have any questions about this GDPR Privacy Notice or our data practices generally, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org